Amenorrhea is the condition of absence of menstrual periods in a woman who is in her reproductive phase of her life. There are many causes for the condition of amenorrhea which is actually a symptom in itself. There are two types of this condition called primary and secondary. It is known as Primary when the menstruation cycles never start in a girl due to some developmental problems or failure of ovaries. It is known as a secondary condition when the menstruation cycle stops for 3 months or longer due to problems like hormonal imbalances.
Primary amenorrhea may occur due to conditions of anorexia, cystic fibroids, polycystic ovarian disease, obesity, tumors, chromosomal or genetic abnormalities, pituitary diseases, physical problems like reproductive issues, excessive exercising, and psychological stress. Secondary Amenorrhea is more common and can occur due to pregnancy, breast feeding, oral contraceptives, mental stress, hormonal problem, pituitary problems, sudden weight gain, premature ovarian failure, menopause and certain medications.
The symptom is absence of menstrual periods till the age of 16 and absence of menstrual periods in women for 3 months or longer, who have been having periods earlier. The treatment of this condition depends on the underlying cause. There are medications, surgery options and some lifestyle changes that can help in reduction of the symptoms. There are various home remedies for the treatment of amenorrhea available. Some of the home remedies for the treatment of amenorrhea are as under:
1. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of milk and drink this every night.
2. Grind mint leaves well and take with honey every day.
3. Consume tomato juice daily. This is very beneficial in amenorrhea.
4. Boil little saffron in half cup of water. Reduce to tablespoon and consume this three times little by little.
5. Some herbs are very effective in the treatment of this condition. Herbs like Blue Cohosh, Mother Wort, Yarrow, Penny Royal, Chaste tree, chamomile, rosemary and oregano are beneficial in this condition.
6. Consume plenty of water and other forms of liquid like buttermilk, coconut water, vegetable juice, fruit juices, soups and milk.
7. Consumption of banana is beneficial.
8. Turmeric and asafetida both are effective in the treatment of amenorrhea. Include these in your diet.
9. Fresh beet juice is one of the effective home remedies for the treatment of amenorrhea.
10. Certain foods like sesame seeds, fenugreek, ginger, drumsticks, cucumber, bitter gourd, papaya and snake gourd are helpful in this condition of absence of menstrual periods. These should be eaten regularly.
11. Mix jiggery and a teaspoon of sesame powder and have it two three times a day.
12. A mixture of gooseberry juice and honey is also beneficial.
13. Avoid fried foods, heavy creams and yeast based products.
14. Intake of ginger tea regularly will help to stimulate the onset of menstruation and also helps in relieving the menstrual cramps.
Apart from these natural home remedies for the treatment of amenorrhea, one must relax and remain calm. Avoid excessive exercising, instead try meditation and light exercises or yoga. Apart from these, you can also take herbal supplement.